How To Clean MakeUp Brushes & Why You Should Do It
Makeup brushes can get really dirty if not cleaned properly. And a dirty makeup brush can cause a dozen skin diseases. Just like we want to wash and clean our face daily, our makeup brush also deserves the same treatment from us.
Makeup and other products accumulate in that brush over time. Here are some of the possible consequences of this ignorance:
Problems it may cause:
- Just like every other dirty thing, bacteria can also make their way into the uncleaned makeup brush and cause serious problems. Moist products stuck in the brush act as a haven for bacteria to nourish. Every time you use that brush, you are practically applying those germs on your delicate skin.
- That last acne breakout might be because of the dirty brush that you use regularly and never clean, yes you heard it right, old brushes can cause acne breakouts. Our skin cannot handle that crazy number of bacteria. And in reaction, it tries to cope it with a rash and acne. If you are suffering from acne randomly popping up now and then, you might want to clean out that dirty brush.
- The brush can also become stiff and hard when you use it regularly and never clean it. The stiff bristles of the brush can irritate your gentle skin. This causes a rash on the facial skin especially the cheeks.
- The oily mess in that dirty brush can also clog the pores of your skin that is one of the main reasons for acne breakouts and dermatitis. It has dirt strangled in its bristles. That boosts the process.
- Instead of giving gross acne, dirty brushes can also cause viral infections, especially when you share it with someone. Because all types of microbes develop on the brush and cause infections to all the people sharing it.
- Lastly, these chemicals accumulate it your brush and damage it, making it less efficient for the application of makeup. You might have invested a lot in these expensive brushes, well, now you need to clean them up properly to keep them working for you.
These were some ways the dirty, uncleaned makeup brushes can affect your face and health. However, some old methods are there to clean up the brushes for better use. Here are some of them.
How often should you clean up?
There are different approaches on how often should you clean up your brushes. The ideal scenario would be to use one brush only once, but they are expensive, and this can’t be done. So, most of the dermatologists suggest that you should clean your makeup brush at least once a week to prevent bacteria build up. You use the brushes on your face, and the cleaner, the better.
Some conventional ways to clean them up:
How do I clean my make up brushes?
Hеrе аrе a fеw tiрѕ tо сlеаn уоur mаkеuр bruѕhеѕ. Firѕt уоu'll nееd:
* All уоur bruѕhеѕ (еуеѕhаdоw, mаkеuр, bluѕh)
* Baby Shаmроо ( or your preferred cleaner)
- Firѕt, run аll уоur bruѕhеѕ undеr thе ѕink fаuсеt in wаrm wаtеr.
- Clеаn thеm bу uѕing a ѕmаll аmоunt оf ѕhаmроо, wоrk in a lаthеr, thеn rinѕе. (Mаkеuр bruѕhеѕ аrе mаdе оut оf hаir ѕо ѕhаmроо wоuld bе a grеаt сhоiсе.)
- Cоntinuе tо ѕhаmроо аnd rinѕе until thеrе'ѕ nо mоrе соlоr frоm thе bruѕh.
- Mаkе a mixturе оf vinеgаr аnd wаtеr in a bоwl. 2 раrtѕ wаtеr аnd 1 раrt vinеgаr.
- Diр thе bruѕhеѕ in thе mixturе fоr a соuрlе оf ѕесоndѕ аnd rеmоvе. (Thiѕ will diѕinfесt thе bruѕhеѕ.)
- Lаѕtlу, рlасе bruѕhеѕ оn tор оf tоwеl аnd аllоw thеm tо аir drу.
Clean each brush in 20 seconds or less
Some of the other common ways of cleaning brushes
This is a pretty old method. All you need is a soap, some water, and your hands to rub the dirt out of the brush. This can be a gross and time-consuming procedure because oily products do not come off easily. Some anti-bacterial soap can be used in the process. Apply the soap and rub the bristles thoroughly. This is a well-known method; however, it can make the bristles of your expensive brush dry and then fall off. So, this is a risky trick to try out.
- Silicone mat:
You can also add a silicone mat to the accessories if you are not satisfied with the use of mere hands. Use an antibacterial soap and then rub the brush well with a hard mat only to rub the shine and softness off your brush. You will also have to clean the mat afterward to avoid any bacteria buildup on it. This really becomes a hassle.
Shampoo, especially baby shampoo might be a better option than the soap. Because shampoo gives a shine to the brush and makes it look new. But it is gentle and will not protect the bristles from strong microbes. So, there is hardly any benefit of using shampoo because a primary goal of washing the brushes is to make them bacteria free.
- A brush cleaning balm:
As the name suggests, these balms are exclusively made to clean the makeup brushes. As the manufacturers claim, they contain a hardened mixture of certain oils that cleanse the brush when you rub it on the balm. But these balms only work well on the soft brushes and neutralize less microbes. The oily accumulations in the brush may become harder to remove. Some balms are also expensive, so, it just adds up to your makeup expenditure.
- With a brush cleaning machine:
These overpriced and often useless machines are not only inefficient, but they also expose your brush to the heat and make the bristles a little harder every time. You can buy one if you hate to clean your brush manually and have like $200 digging a hole in your pocket (yes you read it right!). The machine operates automatically but uses soap in the process. It rubs the brushes on the soap thus cleansing the brush. It is just like a washing machine for your brushes, bulky, loud and really expensive.
So, what’s the better solution?
There are a ton of products out there in the market. You should always choose the product with is affordable and gives you more functionality and productivity. It should also be easy to use and portable.
We just talked about the cleansing machines being bulky and expensive, well, here is a better option. Stylestacker.com offers you a battery-operated makeup brush cleaner. Here are some of its benefits.
- It is highly affordable.
- It’s long lasting battery also make it a better choice if you travel frequently.
- It is made slim and smart to fit in your handbag perfectly.
- It reduces the cleaning time by half.
- The process is straightforward and easy to follow.
Get yours here
Drop us your comments, let us know how you clean your brushes,